Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Prep and Maintenance for Container Plantings



I always try to keep a mix of evergreens and perennials in my container plantings so there is something to look at all year long. Some of my evergreens were looking pretty rough this year so I decided this was the year to give my plants the SPA treatment. I emptied all my pots and put new dirt in. This seems like a fairly simple endeavor but given the shear number of pots I have this was quite an undertaking (27 on the south side alone)! This year is a test year. I am trying out the Costco Miracle Grow Moisture Control dirt. I am also going to keep up with the fertilizing which is something I've always slacked on in the past. I'm hoping that by doing those two things, my deck garden will be abundant and overflowing. This photo shows the starting point so you can be the judge! If you have any other tricks or tips, please feel free to share them!

2 comments:

  1. By "keeping up the fertilizing", what was your schedule before, and what do you intend to do in the future?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just use Miracle Grow liquid fertilizer and follow the instructions on the box. I think they recommend applications every 2-3 weeks. They sell fertilizer that's in granules too but the liquid works faster.

    ReplyDelete